Publishing Maps to GeoServer
When you have prepared your maps, you will need to publish them to a GeoServer.
Please follow the steps in this section to publish a map to your GeoServer.
If you would like more in-depth information about this process, please consult the GeoServer documentation.
- Copy shapefiles and other related files to a folder under $GEOSERVER/data_dir/data/
- Open Geoserver administration tool. Usually http://$NESSTAR_ADDRESS/geoserver
- Select to add a new data store.
- Select Shapefile.
- Pick a Workspace. The default "topp" is OK but you can also use your own if you like.
- Give the data source a name.
- Under "Connection Parameters" click "Browse" to locate and add your shapefile.
- Click save.
- On the next screen click "Publish"
- On the "Data" tab, fill out Name. This will be the layer ID you use in the map URL in Publisher. Don't use other characters than a-z, numbers, underscore and dashes.
- If you plan to use multiple layers, also give the layer a human understandable title in the Title field. Keep it relatively short.
- If you put anything in Abstract it will show beneath the map in WebView. Note that this doesn't support multiple languages.
- Under "Coordinate Reference Systems" click Find to locate the SRS that your shapefiles use.
- After picking a SRS, click "Compute from data" under "Native bounding box" and "Compute from native bounds" under Lat/Lon bounding box".
- Click save to publish the layer.
To add the map to a category level in Publisher, the URL will be: http://$NESSTAR_ADDRESS/geoserver/wms?layers=topp:<layer name> If you used another Worspace than "topp" you should change the URL accordingly